Monday 18 May 2020

Natalie Reeves-Billing: Author to Social Entrepreneur with help from Enterprise Hub

Starting a business in an unfamiliar industry can be a tough step to take. It might feel like a risk to begin with, but many entrepreneurs have come out on the other side shining.


Author and founder of Split Perspectivz – Natalie Reeves-Billing has just released her debut children’s book ‘My Mummy Is A Monster’, the first in the series of her Monstrous Me collection. With books published on Amazon, her online store and a following of over 27,000 people on social media, you might find it hard to believe that just a couple of years ago she was a newbie to the industry. 

Natalie Reeves-Billing

A jack of all trades – Natalie began her career as the lead singer of a signed touring band before moving on to run an electronics and textiles recycling plant. She also spent her time working on a slew of projects that got her entrepreneurial cogs turning. 

Her light bulb moment came when she realised there was one part of those projects she loved doing.

She told us: “I had many projects on the go, from developing soundtracks to creating new bands. I finally had a revelation when I realised it was the writing part of it, I loved, coming up with ideas and the creativity – that really charged me up”

She began her journey into Children’s writing after having her two children – and although she had been a songwriter and poet for many years, she still felt like she had a lot to learn about children’s publishing.

Struggling with structure and planning, she decided it was time to seek out business support to push herself further.

Approaching the Business Clinic at Liverpool Central Library, Natalie had the opportunity to present her Bubs book collection, a series about furry creatures with magic powers, who help children learn how to read. There she met Ali McGrath from The Women’s Organisation.

Natalie told us: “As soon as I met Ali, I knew I was in safe hands. Before discovering The Women’s Organisation, I was still trying to find my feet in a new industry”

Working with The Women’s Organisation, she was able to make huge leaps in her self-confidence as a new author by formulating long term goals and asking the right questions to the right people.

Natalie explains that by having her business advisor, Ali, to meet up with, she was able to build connections through a network of new people. 

She said: “I like the informal manner of conversation and advice. I feel like you are spending time with a wise friend. That dynamic allowed me to open up and admit my vulnerabilities, revealing the weak spots in my business model

“I found the sessions on SMART very useful and have recently applied it to a PR company I engaged with to do some work on my behalf. It meant that at briefings, I was asking the right questions and setting joint monthly goals”

Together with the programme of support from the The Women’s Organisation and Writing on the Wall, Natalie has gone on to debut her first children’s book and start a new social enterprise with an aim to provide free, enriched education.

“Split Perspectivz will use storytelling as a tool for healing and growth, and empower youngsters by discovering who they really are, through story.

I decided to set up a social enterprise after speaking to a dear friend who is also a social entrepreneur, I realised this was my way of giving back – I wanted to make a real difference”

In the future, Natalie hopes to visit schools in Merseyside to deliver workshops on creativity, emotional wellbeing, and literacy.

“Having this pause has allowed me to take stock of the advice I have been given, and to start putting them together into solid plans and strategies. The team at Women’s Organisation have been a great help to me at this challenging time.


The Monstrous Me Collection is now available on on Amazon or through Natalie's online store. 





For more information about the support available to help start or grow your new business through Enterprise Hub, please contact enterprisehub@thewo.org.uk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.