Tuesday 3 March 2020

Sally turns her Hobby into a Success with Enterprise Hub


For many years’ photography had been a hobby that had allowed Sally Barreteau to express her creative side – now with a boost of confidence she has taken her passion and turned it into a full-time career.

Working with Enterprise Hub partners The Women’s Organisation – she now runs ‘Sally Barreteau Photography’ a Liverpool based photography business that is helping people capture moments in their lives for generations to come.




Beginning her enterprise journey with a love for all things photography, Sally felt like it was the right time to work towards a career she would love.

She told us: “I have 100% invested in myself & my photography mentally, financially & physically.”

Feeling nervous about the prospect of going it alone, she approached The Women’s Organisation to find like-minded women who had been through the same journey.

With support from business adviser Yan, Sally Barreteau Photography was born - photographing anything and anyone, the company focuses on portrait shots and boasts a portfolio of family occasions, wedding, parties and travel. 

“I first had a meeting with my new business adviser Yan, she sat down and explained all the support that would be available and the steps I could take to make my photography business become a reality”

“The networking and programmes have helped build my confidence and knowledge around the structure of running a business”




Her love for photography was a lot stronger than her fear of failure – but the thought of not being able to make a living to support her family had been holding her back. Sally told us: “My biggest challenges were financially, photography equipment doesn’t come cheap, As I am one photographer running a business solo, it can be expensive. I've learned about my costings and i'm in the process of thinking about raising my prices to meet competitors.”

Living with dyslexia also played a part in her fear of ‘getting it wrong’ 

She told us: “I feared I would mess up the admin side of the business. I have the photography skills – taking photos, editing, communicating with clients but when it comes to business skills, that came a little harder. You need to be thinking about your marketing, bookkeeping, accounts, alongside being a wife and mother. The Women’s Organisation has helped me to build these skills and made me realise that time keeping, and organisation is the key to any business”

Since working with The Women’s Organisation, the small business has gone from strength to strength, working with big names like Booking.com and national government. “My greatest achievement to date was being asked by an MP from Norway to be their personal photographer for their visit to Liverpool for Remembrance Sunday at St Georges Hall.

“I was the only female photographer with the press capturing this huge event”


So, what is coming up in the future for Sally Barreteau Photography? She told us: “I always touch base with Yan; I think it’s important for me to have someone there who’s looking in from the outside to give me potential idea’s for growing. Everything has been going great so far, I will be going to France in July and August where I will be doing some travelling photo shoots!”

Sally Barreteau photography can be found on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook

For more information about the support available to help start or grow your new business through Enterprise Hub, please contact 0151 706 8113 or enterprisehub@thewo.org.uk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.